Posted by admin - 19/07/14 10:28AM - -
A new menu item has been added called "Faith Enrichment". This is a catch all title under which it is hoped links and resources for enriching our faith and spiritual life can be placed. At present it contains the links to the Parish Library and also to one called "Resources". For the moment this provides links to Pope Francis Exhortaton "Evangalii Gaudium" and download links to Fr John Chalmers' six reflections on that Exhortation.Full Story
The Catholic Church Must Respond to the Royal Commission Now
Posted by admin - 16/07/14 05:24PM - -
Responding to the interim report from the Royal Commission into institutional Child Sexual Abuse the Chair of the Catholic Church's Truth Justice and Healing Council, Francis Sullivan, acknowledged how the Bishops have fully endorsed the recommendations of the Council. But these apply across the board for all institutions. He asked the following questions specifically about the Catholic Church:
- To what extent have cultural issues played a part in allowing abuse to occur?
- Why does it seem that many church institutions over many decades turned a blind eye, either instinctively or deliberately, to the abuse happening within their walls?
- What roll has a culture fed by clericalism, blind obedience and a closed, water-tight environment, played in the prevalence of abuse within some religious orders?
- What reforms need to be made to the way in which young men are selected for entry into the priesthood or orders? What about their training and ongoing development, including a grounding in psycho-sexual development?
- Where is the professional development of priests and others? Where is the ongoing assessment and accreditation? Where is the oversight to ensure they are carrying out their duties in accordance with professional practices and policies?
- Where is the assessment and response to the assertion that the clerical, if you like, corporate culture of the Church was for so many years about protecting the reputation of the institution and its assets - protecting fellow priests and religious from exposure and embarrassment - rather than protecting children?
New Archdiocesan Policy on Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
Posted by admin - 06/06/14 07:11AM - -
The Archbishop has promulgated a new Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy.
The policy states:
“Children are a gift from God with an intrinsic right to dignity of life, respect and security
from physical and emotional harm. They are to be treasured, nurtured and safeguarded
from harm by all.”
A copy of the full policy document will be at the entrance of the Church and a link placed on our website. You are encouraged to read it. Our parish is implementing the policy and procedures during the coming months and some training will be provided to those who are working with children.Full Story